Tuesday, April 17

Dinner for Two: Part 2

Hello, again!

If you missed Part 1 of this dinner, you can check in here for my guacamole recipe, {the BEST guacamole in the world.}

This is the recipe for my Vegan black bean tacos with corn salsa.  I found the recipe in this month's Self magazine.  You can find the original recipe here, but I made some yummy changes to it that I think you'll want to see.


Vegan Black Bean Tacos with Corn Salsa

So you're going to start with 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed, and 1/4 cup of old fashioned oats and corn meal each.




I ground the oats and corn meal together in my food processor first, but this step is optional.




Next, combine the black beans, oats and corn meal mixture in a food processor along with:

3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
& 2 cloves of garlic, minced

the original recipe called for 1 tablespoon of chili powder, but like I said, I love cumin, so I opted to use the same seasonings that I use when I make tacos, so instead I used:

1/2 tablespoon of chili powder
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
& 1/2 tablespoon of cumin

So blend it together until it is a crumbly texture...I added about a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/8 cup of water to the mixture because the first time that I made this I thought it was really dry.  

Adding the oil and water helped a lot, but it's up to you!




Using your hands, crumble the mixture onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray, & also spray the mixture.  This will help it brown and get crispy.  




Put it into a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Take it out, break it up and flip it around, spray it again and put it back in for another 15 minutes.

While the black beans are in the oven, you can make this AMAZING corn salsa.  Seriously, this is delicious...

Take 1 cup of corn, I used frozen, thawed.




1 medium red bell pepper {yum} diced.




The recipe called for 1 chili pepper, but I'm not crazy about chili peppers, so I used a jalapeno instead.




I didn't know this, but most of the heat in a hot pepper is in the ribs and seeds, so take them out for less spice, but you can save them & use it to make hot sauce, which I think is cool.  Or hot.

Also dice up 2 or 3 green onions.




Once again, my favorite part...




The juice of 2 limes,




Fresh cilantro, {I did 2 of these bunches, about 1/4 of a cup}

1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper

and that's it!  

I love this salsa, I love that it doesn't have tomato in it.  Not that I don't love tomato, I just think it's an interesting twist.  AND all it's got in it is lime juice...brilliant.  Love it.  Fresh & delicious.




While I was looking for my food processor in all of my kitchen things, which are packed up, and getting more and more annoyed...I saw all of my Anthropologie dishes, which cheered me up.  

I decided to get them all out and set a nice table for our dinner.

So, here it is...


Dinner for Two by Anthropolgie










Featured in this Table Setting:
Long-Term Shakers
Lotus Dinner Plate
Flame Leaf Bowls
Homegrown Monogram Mug
Rag Rug Placemats


*The dinner plates I used and the bowl I served the guacamole in are no longer available on Anthropologie.com.  Sorry, kiddos.


So, that's it!  


I had leftovers for dinner last night and lunch today...yum.


We're making these chocolate bourbon milkshakes tonight, {thanks, Pinterest}


I'll share how it goes soon.  Until then, here's wishing you beautiful evenings for quiet dinners with the people you love.  And lots and lots of beautiful Anthropologie dinnerware.  


No comments:

Post a Comment